The temperatures are steadily climbing here in Phoenix and that means soon we’ll be in the midst of the dog days of summer. I was born and raised in the Midwest where summers meant long days outside dashing through sprinklers and waiting for the ice cream man to come around. Summer in Phoenix is a whole different beast. Here we shun the summer sun and retreat to cool, dark air conditioned rooms as meteorologists count the number days in a row we hit 100+.
Summers in Phoenix don’t have to be unbearable. In fact, there are tons of things you can do in the Phoenix Metro area to beat the heat and stay active and social during the summer months. Here are some activities to keep yourself and/or your kids cool, calm, and collected this summer.
- Splash Pads – Several local outdoor malls and neighborhood parks are equipped with splash pads that offer bubbling water to dash in and out of. Visit one mid-morning to beat the hottest part of the day
- Indoor Play Areas – Indoor play areas like The Play Factory and Imagination Avenue provide air conditioned places where kids can run in a controlled environment. Many off frequent visitor cards that help save on cost
- Public Libraries – Many of the local public libraries offer summer story time sessions for kids of all ages. Check your city for lists of events
- Water Parks – The Phoenix Area offers 3 water parks as well as an indoor wave pool at Kiwanis Park
- Children’s Museum/Science Center/Musical Instrument Museum – why not incorporate some learning in to summer break. Museums are a fun way to learn without feeling like you are learning
- Bowling/Go Karts/Arcades – Endless entertainment for all ages
- Skating Rinks/Trampoline Parks/Bounce U – Burn off some energy in climate controlled environments
- Movie Theaters – Many movie theaters have summer children’s programs featuring classic kid movies on the big screen. In addition summer is known for huge blockbuster releases
- Get Out of Town – Day trips to Payson, Sedona, or Flagstaff offer cooler temps and tons more exploring. For a long weekend head to San Diego or Los Angeles to play on the beach
If you’re unable or unwilling to leave the house in the heat there are several things you can do at home.
- Host your own movie marathon featuring your favorite all time movies
- Binge through a new TV show on-line
- Make a fort out of sheets, pillows, and couch cushions. Curl up with a book and some snacks
- Dust off your favorite board games and see who can rack up the most wins
- Have a different theme day each day. Research the topic with your kids, plan art projects and games based on the theme (i.e. history of baseball, animal kingdom, musical instruments )
Life in Phoenix doesn’t have to stop just because temperatures climb in to the triple digits. The Phoenix Metro Area is well prepared for the heat and offers several indoor and air conditioned options to have fun. Get creative when you’re stuck indoors and before you know it you’ll be back to enjoying the outdoors without worrying about frying your skin off.